Psa 65:11 Thou crownest the year with thy goodness; and thy paths drop fatness.
As we commence 2013, let us prayerfully resolve to be effective stewards and transformed by the Lord through his inspired word and our responsible obedience to it. Consider the following pertinent thoughts that should accompany us in the new year.
- Remember that God is sovereign over everything. Seek him and His kingdom first and trust Him for His provision and protection. (Mt 6:33)
- Begin each day with prayer and never fail to worship to the glory of God (Mk 1:35)
- Be quiet every morning for a Quiet Time of God’s Word for at least 10 minutes each day and think of the goodness and faithfulness of God. (Hab 2:20)
- When you wake up in the morning, before anything else, pray for wisdom to know and do God’s will for the day. (Psa 5:3)
- Be ready always to witness to at least one person or say a word for Jesus each day about Christ and His saving grace. (1 Pet 3:15)
- Do not waste God given precious energy on gossip, backbiting, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things that bred anger and hatred. Instead invest your time, talents, energy in serving and worshipping God and saving souls. (1 Cor 9:16)
- Life is too short to waste time in the world and sinful pleasures and fighting with anyone. Honour and serve God while there is yet breath. (Psa 90:12)
- Make peace with God every day and ask for His forgiveness and mercies and live for the present and the future till He comes. (1 Tim 2:5)
- Learn to live and forgive others as God has forgiven you and set a prisoner free and discover Him to be yourself. (Eph 4:32)
- Jealousy and discontentment are a waste of time. Be content and grateful and do not compare yourself or your spouse or children with others as we are all unique in God’s eyes. (1 Tim 6:6-10)
- Each night before you go to bed, be prayerful and thankful for God’s mercies and grace for the day. (Psa 4:8)
- We are too blessed by God to be overly stressed by man or circumstances. Entrust all things to Him with full assurance. (1 Pet 5:7)
- Never forget that the almighty God is in control of everything. Do not worry or fret but pray to Him no matter what happens to you or your family this year. (Phil 4:6, 7)
- Be a good example to your brethren of colleagues and let the Lord use you as testimony for his name to the edifying of someone (1 Tim 4:12)
- Be grateful to God and men for every small thing that is given as a blessing to you (1 Thess 5:18)
- Serve is a meaningful capacity in the church and use your talents and gifts for the Lord. (1 Pet 4:10, 11)
- Go out of your way to encourage, comfort, strengthen and exhort someone that you know needs your assistance. (Heb 10:24, 25)
- Fear God and keep His Word and grow in holiness and sanctification daily. (Mal 3:16)
- Live each day as if it is your last day and prepare to meet your God. (Amos 4:12)
Every year has new challenges and opportunities to serve and glorify Christ.
Ephesians 5:17 ‘Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.’
We need to know and practice biblical principles in 2013 and apply them obediently to our walk and make good use of our God given opportunities. We live in an evil age and we are not to be fools but we are to seek and to understand what the specific will of God is for our lives. Therefore, let us walk circumspectly and prayerfully and consciously redeem the limited time that we have. When we live obediently and sensitively to God’s sovereign guidance and direction and make full use of our opportunities for the Lord, we will have a right understanding and application of, ‘what the will of the Lord is.’ Something to ponder in the new year.